Because of Addison’s overwhelmingly commercial atmosphere, residents of Addison enjoy a unique lifestyle not common in other suburbs.
Residents and visitors can enjoy many Addison attractions. There are special events in Addison 22 weekends of the year. The WaterTower Theatre produces plays and musicals and hosts the annual Out of the Loop Festival. The Cavanaugh Flight Museum houses a collection of aircraft since World War I. Addison Circle Park, built in the early 2000s, is a venue for several seasonal outdoor events, such as the “Addison Kaboom Town!,” “Addison Oktoberfest,” and the foodie fun event, “Fork & Cork”. The Addison Improv Comedy Club brings in some of the most acclaimed comedians in the industry.
Addison is noted for being home to the original locations of both Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Chão, two Brazilian Churrascaria franchises that are both in the midst of rapid national expansion
As of the census of 2010, there were 13,056 people, 7,378 total households, and 2,663 family households residing in the town. The population density was 3,200.0 people per square mile (1,234.7/km²). There were 8,205 housing units at an average density of 1,853.4 per square mile (715.1/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 67.79% White, 9.63% African American, 0.41% Native American, 7.81% Asian, 0.11% Pacific Islander, 10.79% from other races, and 3.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 24.04% of the population.
There were 7,378 households out of which 14.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 24.5% were married couples living together, 8.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 63.9% were non-families. 52.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.77 and the average family size was 2.69.
In the town the population was spread out with 14.5% under the age of 18, 11.6% from 18 to 24, 43.9% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 7.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 32.5 years. For every 100 females there were 99.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.1 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $56,761. The per capita income for the town was $45,655. 7.7% of the population and 13.1% of people were below the poverty line. The median house price has steadily increased in recent years. In 2007, the median price for a home was $350,000.
Most residents are zoned to the Dallas Independent School District, while some are zoned to the Carrollton-Farmers Branch Independent School District.
All residents within the DISD portion of Addison may attend George H. W. Bush Elementary School in Addison. Bush’s attendance boundary covers most of Addison. Addison residents living outside of the Bush attendance boundary are not provided transportation to attend Bush. Other DISD elementary schools serving sections of Addison include Anne Frank Elementary School in Dallas and Jerry Junkins Elementary School in Carrollton.
The Town of Addison asked Dallas ISD to build Bush with environmentally sensitive materials. The PreK-5 school was built as part of a bond approved in May 2008. Bush is adjacent to the Greenhill School and is located along Addison’s trail system; therefore the school will be accessible by bicycle or on foot from the Les Lacs and Midway Meadows subdivisions. Bush has a first floor with 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2) of space and a second floor with 30,000 square feet (2,800 m2) of space. Bush has two athletic fields located north of the playgrounds. During non-school hours Addison residents may use the fields.
Residents zoned to Bush and Junkins are zoned to Walker Middle School and W.T. White High School in Dallas. Residents zoned to Frank are zoned to Benjamin Franklin Middle School and Hillcrest High School.
A portion of the C-FBISD area is served by Stark Elementary School in Farmers Branch. Another portion is served by Neil Ray McLaughlin Elementary School (K-2) in Carrollton and Nancy H. Strickland Intermediate School (3-5) in Farmers Branch. All of the C-FBISD portion is served by Vivian Field Middle School in Farmers Branch, and R. L. Turner High School in Carrollton.
Addison is the home of two private schools. Greenhill School, which is a co-educational private school, enrolls over 1,200 students from preschool to high school. In addition, Trinity Christian Academy is within the town’s borders.
History of schools serving Addison
The Addison School building was opened in 1914. In 1954 the school became a part of the Dallas ISD, and the school closed in 1964. The school building is now the “Magic Time Machine Restaurant.”
McLaughlin was built in 1959. Field was built in 1960. Stark opened in 1963. R. L. Turner High School opened in 1962, replacing Carrollton High School.
Prior to fall 2006, all Addison residents were zoned to Frank for Kindergarten through 4th Grade, E. D. Walker Elementary School for 5th and 6th grades, and Marsh Middle School for 7th and 8th grades. Junkins Elementary School opened in fall 2006, relieving Anne Frank, and Tom C. Gooch Elementary School took an additional portion of Frank’s attendance zone. During the same year, Walker became a middle school, serving the Frank and Junkins-zoned sections of Addison, while the Gooch-zoned section was still assigned to Marsh.
In fall 2008 boundary changes rezoned the Frank-zoned section of Addison from W. T. White and Walker to Hillcrest and Franklin. In addition, Strickland was dedicated in 2008.
George Herbert Walker Bush Elementary School opened in Addison in 2011. As a result, boundary changes during that year involve Bush taking attendance zone territory from Tom C. Gooch, Frank, and Junkins elementary schools. Because of Bush’s opening, now Walker MS and White MS served the Junkins and Bush zones, while Franklin continued to serve the Frank zone. Because Gooch is no longer serving portions of Addison, Marsh Middle School no longer serves portions of Addison.
The land occupied by Addison was settled as early as 1846 when Preston Witt built a house near White Rock Creek. In 1902 the community named itself Addison, after Addison Robertson, who served as postmaster from 1908 to 1916. The first industry was a cotton gin, opening in 1902 on Addison Road.
The community was formerly known as Noell Junction after settler Sidney Smith Noell, after whom Noel Road and Knoll Trail are named.
The City of Addison was incorporated on June 15, 1953. The first mayor of Addison was M. W. Morris, and the aldermen were Guy Dennis, Robert W. Wood, J. E. Julian, Jr., Dr. H. T. Nesbit, and Seldon Knowles. In 1982 the name was changed to “Town of Addison.”
Addison has 118 acres (48 ha) of parkland. Addison’s first town park opened in 1978. The Dallas Independent School District operates the Alfred J. Loos Athletic Complex in Addison.
The Addison Athletic Club is a 52,000 sq. ft. residents-only facility that features indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a gymnasium, fitness equipment, and racquetball courts.
Recent Addison and Surrounding Area Listings
© 2017 North Texas Real Estate Information Systems. All rights reserved. The data relating to real estate for sale or lease on this web site comes in part from NTREIS. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Texas Upstart Group - Fraser Realty Group, LLC are marked with the NTREIS logo or an abbreviated logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing broker. Data is deemed reliable, but not guaranteed accurate by the MLS or NTREIS. IDX information is provided exclusively for consumers' personal, non-commercial use and may not be used for any purpose other than to identify prospective properties consumers may be interested in purchasing. Data last updated 02-13-2017.